Knowing the many amenities, conveniences and procedures of the Guadalajara airport can make your trip much smoother.
Below is helpful information that will guide you through traveling via the Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costillo International Airport.
About the Guadalajara International Airport
- Location: This airport is located 13 miles southeast of Guadalajara’s city center.
- Airport Code: IATA: GDL, ICAO: MMGL
- Terminals: There are two terminals in the Guadalajara Airport. One serves domestic flights, while the other serves international flights. They are both in the same complex in close proximity.
Guadalajara Airport Amenities
There are 14 restaurants in the Guadalajara Airport – including international favorites like Chilis, Burger King, and Starbucks as well as some local names like Medas and La Pausa.
The airport dining locations open 24/7 are El Quijote II and Fronteras Bar.
The Guadalajara Airport is also a place to do some souvenir and tax free shopping. Stores include Duty-Free, Hola Mexico, Puerta Cero, and Stanza.
The Duty Free in the Guadalajara Airport is known for having a large variety of Tequila brands.
ATMs & Currency Exchange
The Guadalajara Airport has a number of bank ATMs where you can withdrawal local and US currency.
The ATMs affiliations include Banamex, Scotiabank, Santander, Bancomer.
Global Exchange, Monte Republica and Banco HSBC will convert money to and from the local currency of Mexican Pesos (MXN.) Global Exchange is the only exchange center open 24/7.
Internet at the Airport
There are three sites that offer Wi-Fi at the Guadalajara Airport. They are Starbucks, Wings, and Burger King. Upon purchasing an item, the Wi-Fi code will be on the back of your receipt.
- There is also a massage parlor offering spa treatments including manicures, pedicures, and facials.
- American Express cardholders have the luxury of visiting the VIP lounge with a full bar.
- American Tours is a tourist agency located in the airport and can give you local information and help plan your activities and excursions. This agency is open 6am-10pm.
Transportation from the Guadalajara Airport
There are many options you have getting to and from the Guadalajara Airport. The most common options include car rentals, taxis, and bus.
- At the airport, you have a variety of car rental companies to chose from including Hertz, Europcar, Thrifty, and many other local agencies.
- Authorized taxis are available for hire within the airport and prices are negotiated at the counter. These authorized taxis are the only ones admitted in the airport transit system.
- If you want something even more economical, there is a bus (known locally asservicio colectivo) that goes from the arrivals terminal to Guadalajara’s historic center.
Hotels near the Guadalajara Airport
Hotel Casagrande is a five-star hotel located in the airport and has several standard rooms and suites. The hotel has conference rooms, spa amenities, elegant dining area and restaurant, and a full-service concierge.
The Hampton Inn is 1 block north on highway 44.
Customs & Security
Mexican customs will ask you to declare if you have any of the following:
- More than $20,000 USD
- Live flowers, animals, or vegetables
- Firearms and/or cartridges
- Goods subject to taxes
While security is slightly more lax than the US, any blades, weapons, and liquids are prohibited from carry-on and will likely be confiscated. Police dogs are also prevalent in many Mexican airports, including Guadalajara.